Sunday, August 24, 2008

Back from Sydney and Bento # 44

We're back, arrived late last night. D'hubby is shaking his head 'cos haven't finished unpacking, already checking blogs... hehe... Well, girlet and he are watching the Olympics closing ceremony.

We had enjoyed the trip. This was girlet's 4th trip to Sydney, but boylet's 1st. Poor babylet had to stay home as we didn't want to plan the trip around her naps. Turned out to be a blessing as it was the coldest winter in Sydney in 40 years. Boylet said he loved the cold weather. Yeah, he is such a sweaty boy. Anyway, will post pics soon (although super efficient -and obsessive- hubby has downloaded the pics, super procrastinator me need some time). Also have to take pics of my purchases from the supermarket. Yay!

Ending this post with a bento girlet had before the school break. Girlet loves glutinous rice, so cooked Lor Mai Fun for her. After steaming, used heart & star cookie cutters and clingwrap to shape the rice. There were chicken stuffed in the rice. Added two siumai, bought earlier, and half a ladyfingers stuffed with fishpaste. Fruits were heart & star shaped apples. Had to place the heart shaped cups upside down to fit in the box. Lastly, a pig shaped container of sweet sauce for dipping. Girlet ate everything except the ladyfingers. She ate the seeds though. Strange girl, she likes tomato without the seeds, and ladyfinger's seed without the ladyfingers.

10 comments:

Emily said...

Yeah!!!! You are back! Sure miss you!

Ooo I love lor mai fun! especially with braised dark sauce chicken or plain with roasted peanuts!

Irene said...

oh i love the lor mai fun too. lor mai kai is the best supper to have! :) though normally ppl have it for breakie, im a pig, what to do. haha!

nice bento :)

Biblo said...

Thought you said your computer was down? Getting all geared up to update you about the Bento party... LOL!!

Didn't know you know how to make lor mai fun. Ladyfinger's seed? Girlet sure is strange... also takes after the father? LOL!!

Rachel said...

welcome back! when i read the heading, gosh, i thought this mommy just touch down and start bento-ing already...:P

U cook the lor mai fun? wow..it's definately more healthy than what was sold outside..wish i know how..

will wait patiently for the photos..

LZmommy said...

Welcome back :) So fast you have already left comment in my blog, thank you :)

Lor mai fun! My hubby's favourite! :) If only I know how to cook.

3lilangels said...

Emily : I'm glad to be back and can't wait for the bento meetup.

Biblo : the fan in the CPU wasn't working, but Colin fixed it while we were away.

Blessed mom & lzmommy : I learnt to make Lor mai fun while in Uni overseas. But everything agak-agak, so the results is not consistent. hehe... this time round, too much dark soy sauce, huh? And ran out of Chinese sausage so made do without it. You can try this recipe from cooking momster : http://cookingmomster.blogspot.com/2007/08/lor-mai-kai-glutinous-rice.html. Let me know how it turn out. Maybe I should follow it and have a more consistent result.

allthingspurple said...

wow, you can cook lor mai fun? I only learn Asian cooking last year when Kimberly came back from MIL's place to live with me. Still got a lot to learn about cooking.

Looking forward to your stash from Sydney. I have always love shopping for food in Australia. All I ever buy from there is food! haha !

Our Story said...

I like the pig container. where did u get that?

YL

Sue Sue said...

Oh didn't realize tat is a piglet container.So cute.

3lilangels said...

YL : that was one of the first things I got from ebay.

sue sue : the container actually comes with a spreader (a flat spoon, so to spread butter/jam on bread). I left it out, in case girlet loses it.

Lilypie
Lilypie
Lilypie