Monday, November 10, 2008

Bento # 78 and # 79 - Out of fresh produce

I twisted my ankle last week while running down the stairs. I was carrying Babylet then. Thank God I fell back on the bum, so I didn't drop her. Though it did give her a big scare. I managed to turn it into a teaching session - "Don't run on the stairs or you'll fall down like mummy" *_* Can joke about it now that the pain is over. It wasn't so pleasant last week, hobbling around with a swollen and bruised ankle. As a result, I didn't manage to go shopping for groceries. And had to made do with staples in the fridge.


These two bentos were from early last week. Was contemplating not to post because not-up-to- standard. Haha... but they were among Girlet's favourites... I think it was the lack of vegies... LOL!

Bento # 78 had white bread with ham and two types of cheese - cheddar and gouda. Tried to roll into heart shapes, but not too successful. Quail eggs, which were too big for the various moulds, were fashioned into a hamster and chick. And pears were cut into simple rectangles. The next day, things got worse when we ran out of fruits too. Fortunately the breadman came right to the house so we had enough bread. Bento # 79 had white and wholemeal bread with cheese, Nutella and chicken floss/seaweed/sesame seed, respectively. I left the crusts intact since Girlet don't mind them. I then tried to cut the too-big quail eggs into a nice shape but ended up in a mess!

The positive note was: Girlet loved the bentos!

9 comments:

Physiomom said...

wah so got standard oso say no standard..when u really go full force..then u must be a champ!
I started to try bento with my kids' 'recess' boxes.

still pai seh to show it lah...lagi no standard.
But again agreeing with u...though dnt look got standard important thing kids love it n finish up the food. sometimes nampak cantik but they have leftovers. Lagi "sam thong".

LZmommy said...

Thank God Babylet is ok. Hope you are feeling better now...

Aiyo... Like these no standard? :) You set the standard very high. Hehehe... Yes, what most important our kids love it. :)

Family First said...

Oh no! Hope you get well really soon! And with leftovers, you managed to do such great stuff! Tabik! Tabik!

kel said...

Ouch! That was painful, lucily u fell backward, not down with Babylet. Anyway, hope u r well now.

Those bentos r gorgeous, why set ur standard so high, kids r easy to please sometimes.

Ron Jun/Hue Wen said...

Hope u recover fast fm ur sprain!

Emily said...

Take it easy on the ankle on the next couple of weeks!

You need help with the grocery shopping? Sorry ha, tomorrow I am bz with lunch appointment, but am free in the afternoon! You got my number hoh?

Aiyah, kids love anything without vegs!

icfamily5 said...

Hope you recover soon.

Your bento are great. So long as the kid can finish the food you prepare for them.

Emily said...

p.s. love the things you did with those quail eggs!

Did you buy a gadget small enuf for cutting those quail eggs with zigzag patterns? or free hand!?

3lilangels said...

Renet13 : Haha... I'm sure your bentos are fine. I think we're our own worst critic.

LZmommy : Yes, Thank God indeed!

Family first : Thanks! *_*

Kel : You're absolutely right. Must remember that

Megan : Thanks for your concern.

Emily : Thanks for the offer. I won't trouble you for anything less than chicken feet... hehe..
I used a special knife. It has a V shaped knife at one end and a round scoop at the other. Though a regular sharp knife will do the job just as well. I'm a gadget junkie... If you want one, I have an extra.

icfamily5 : Thanks. Love what you've been doing with quail eggs. You don't need any moulds (though I'm still keeping a look out for you).

Lilypie
Lilypie
Lilypie