Saturday, July 12, 2008

Maths tuition - Kumon or Enopi?

Strangely, I thought that a Chinese Kindergarten's maths level should be very high. But girlet so far has been doing simple addition and just beginning with subtraction. This is what she's been doing in montessori kindy last year.

Being kiasu, I went for a consultation at Kumon to find out more on Kumon's method of learning. Am impressed with the focus on developing good learning habits, concentration, responsibility of own work leading towards being an independent learner. But a little hesistant with the daily worksheets, as she has a lot of homework on writing Mandarin from kindy as it is.

Then went to check out Enopi, which is the Korean method to learning maths. Seems similar to Kumon with exception that this include problem solving, and less homework. A friend thinks I'm weird to be looking for less homework because "for Maths, the more she practise the better she becomes".

Erm, so which to choose? Proximity wise, both are about the same. In the end, chose Enopi because I can set maths problems for her to do anytime but lateral thinking is something that I don't know how to teach her. Let's hope this is the best decision for her.

3 comments:

Biblo said...

I have heard of Kumon but not Enopi... Does that mean Kumon more popular?

Rachel said...

Went for a maths seminal, its not about more practise, its about understanding the logic behind the sums.

3lilangels said...

Biblo : Think Kumon has been in Malaysia longer than Enopi, that's why more widely known.

Rachel : Thanks. Feel better about my decision as Enopi does focus on critical thinking.

Lilypie
Lilypie
Lilypie