Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bento # 33 and # 34

For Bento # 33, decided to finish the last of the onigiri in the freezer. Rolled two mini triangles in chicken floss & sakura denbu and covered the third partly with flavoured nori. These aren't the traditional onigiri, as I've added vinegar/sugar/salt to it. Added a leftover drumnet (stewed in dark/light soy and oyster sauce with a dash of pepper).

The green item was a problem. Ran out edamame and frenchbeans, and tired of sweetpeas and broccoli. Then remembered both LZmommy and Rachel made asparagus wrapped with bacon. So tried that out. Looked good, right? Made two rolls, with five stalks of asparagus. Apparently that was too much vegie for girlet, she only ate the roll with two stalks in it. Maybe I should roll the asparagus individually next time. While I was at it, decided to copy Rachel's orange flower with cherry tomato middle too. Thanks Rachel. (Oh, silly me. Just went to check the link in LZmommy's blog and found out that I should have cut the asparagus/bacon roll, for ease of eating if nothing else.)

After spending way too much time deciding what to pack for the above bento, resolved to make a speedy bento for the next. And nothing much is faster than bread and leftovers. So kaya and nutella pinwheels for carbo, and NgorHian (minced pork/prawn wrapped with beancurd sheet) for protein. Added two Japanese dessert, purple with lotus paste (I think) and pink with green tea. While making the sandwich, set girlet to cut out the dragonfruit. She chose a tiara shape which unfortunately can't be seen under all the picks she used.

No greens? Haha, I was counting pandan kaya as a green item. So was the green tea filling of the Japanese dessert. ^_^

10 comments:

LZmommy said...

Both the bento look good :) And I love Japanese dessert!

For the bacon roll, you may want to try to roll it slanting, so that to cover all the greens. If it doesn't stick together, you can dab a little flour before frying. That's what I did :)

Hope you don't find me too kaypoh :p

Rachel said...

Hi..thanks dear for mentioning my blog *blush*..

hee..for the bacon rollm mine a little different from LZmommy...I "blanch"the bacon in hot water to remove some of the saltiness and oil first, then wrap it up with the green and mushroom and grill it...

hope u won't find me kaypoh too : P

allthingspurple said...

wow..I admire your little girl's palate. My Kimberly won't touch gor hian, nor dragon fruit because she says it's an angry colour. sigh..

Nor does she like Japanese desserts or sushi. picky picky. Wish my kids would eat like yours do, then I would have more choice of food in bento. Ha ha.

but love your bento, nevertheless.

Unknown said...

wow, you're the best mummy in the whole world ! Wish I have the time to do that..

3lilangels said...

lzmommy & rachel : of course you're not kaypoh. All tips are most welcomed. Will try out your methods. Wouldn't have thought of them myself. Thanks!

Lee said...

Hi there, was at Allthingpsurple's place noticed your callsign...nice bento boxes and the food. Bet your kids love it, huh?
Have a great weekend, Lee.

3lilangels said...

allthingspurple : Thanks. Girlet is not that adventurous - an ongoing battle for her to eat vegies. We mummies just have to persevere and continue introducing new tastes.

min & u.lee : Thanks for visiting *_*

allthingspurple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Hi ..noted that you are being shortlisted too! Congrat! Will be supporting both U and Christine!

allthingspurple said...

Hi dearie, u got my query about how to put up the blogreader thingy? I think I posted my email address to you in another of your post after reading one of your older posts but now I can't find it.

Lilypie
Lilypie
Lilypie