Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bento # 50 & # 51

For bento # 50, tried to create a flower basket. The ham and chicken slice were too think and the resulting flower couldn't fit into the bread basket. Note to self, get the deli to slice the ham thinner next time. The bread was Farmer's Rolls from Delifrance. Boylet loves it heated up with just butter slathered on. The fillings here were egg mayo, ham cut with flower cutter and baby corn. Tried to make a flower with the sausage, but another failure as the sausage broke when folded. Aiyah! I want delicate and dextrous fingers like LZmommy's. And the fruits were the last of the strawberries and blueberries from Oz.The flower basket from another angle. Can make it out or not?
The second week of school (last week), and I finally got my act together. Bought groceries and spent an afternoon cooking dinner and making extra to stash in freezer. Basically just took a variety of minced meat & fishpaste and shaped, stuffed and covered in various ways.

The easiest was minced beef mixed with finely chopped onion & parsley flakes and turned into mini burgers. Mashed potato was turned into potato croquet, some stuffed with sweetmeat/bakwa. Fishpaste were either rolled with crabstick for steaming, or wrapped with seaweed, or covered with bread squares for deep frying. Also deep fried some chicken nuggets from Ayamas. The maid did all the deep frying. Was supposed to make wonton, but became too lazy in the end.

Bento # 51 contained the fruits of the labour : Nuggets, fish with seaweed, mini hamburger and round potato croquet. Tomato ketchup was in the pig container. Wanted to make onigiri for girlet, but she requested for mini croissant instead. Fruits were watermelon and papaya. Had to cut heart shape again because the heart shape silicon cups are the only small yet tall ones I have. The other small silicon cups are too shallow, resulting in the fruits falling all over the box during transportation. Whereas the other taller silicon cups are too big for this bento box.

12 comments:

Emily said...

Hei!! is bento #50 a new bento box!?? Very sweet!

All the large flowers and the small flowers look just fine, no worries!

Biblo said...

The flower basket is for whom? Girlet eat so much, ah? Looks good... can pass lah as a flower basket. Fiona said she saw this tupperware selling at RM7.90 downstairs.

Emily said...

Aiyah, flower baskets? I tot they were cook fah!

Lisa~~ said...

Beautiful flower basket.

kel said...

Ya ya, emily, look like a flower to me too! he he he...
Anyway, they looks nice, well done!

HI said...

Hi, I was blog hopping on Bento and came into your blog. I have a question:

How do you keep your bento food safe for consumption? If you heat up the food for the kids to take to school, will it be safe to eat 4 or 5 hours later?

Rachel said...

gosh! Bento 50 is so creative and nicely done!

Unknown said...

Your flower basket looks very cute. Nice way to present it.

3lilangels said...

Yup, Bento #51 was a new bento box, bought a few weeks ago at the local supermarket for RM7.90.

Aiyah, 'cookfah = chrysanthemum', flower or flower basket, nevermindlah, I'm thick skin and will take all as compliments... hehe. Thanks.

3lilangels said...

to hi: My girl has her lunch 2.5 hours after I prepare her bento. Nevertheless, I follow the food safety tips from Bentopet and Lunchinabox since it is so hot & humid here, causing food to spoil fast. Here are the links: http://onabentofrenzy.blogspot.com/2007/09/survivors-guide-for-packing-bento-box.html and http://lunchinabox.net/2007/05/08/food-safety-for-packed-lunches-updated/

Angeleyes said...

Hey there! Thanks for popping by my blogs and linking up too! Will do the same. :)

Your bento looks so good! I wonder when can I reach that stage! hehehehe

Saw your Sydney trip... I love to get that dino pasta! Must go and pester my cousin to get for me! LOL

LZmommy said...

Wow! This flower basket is soooo lovely! Too pretty to eat it. Hehehe...

Lilypie
Lilypie
Lilypie