Friday, September 26, 2008

How-to : Make flower egg/ham

To Lisa: Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy the whole day. Anyway, how I made the flower egg may not be the proper way. Like your dumpling sandwich, I saw the pic, and did it my way. Please feel free to improve on it.

First, beat the egg with salt and pepper added (you may want to add milk, suspect Japanese add Mirin and sugar).

Fry paper thin. I used a rectangular pan.

Lay the piece of egg flat on chopping board and make parallel slits about 1/4 inch apart in the middle of the egg (not all the way through). If you make long slits, the effect will be like mine, the 'petals' will open up wider. I didn't have time to fry an egg, so am showing you pics using ham instead.
Fold the egg/ham in half, perpendicular to the slits. I found out the hard way that if I cut after folding the ham, the ham tend to break.
Roll the egg/ham up and secure with a toothpick. For girlet's bento, I left out the toothpick, just wedge it tightly among other food so it doesn't unravel.
You probably would want to experiment with wider/narrower slits, longer/shorter slits, thicker/thinner egg, all of which will affect the final product.

10 comments:

Lisa~~ said...

Thanks for the demo, with pictures even!! I really love these little flowers youmake and soon you'll be seeing them in Maisie's bentos. May have to dye the eggs different colors even as she loved her pink and yellow boiled eggs this week.

3lilangels said...

Lisa: The dye idea is fantastic. With egg white, the effect should be beautiful.

Rachel said...

good idea..thanks for sharing!

allthingspurple said...

hey, a client just ask me how to do that the other day when she saw that on my bento (trying on myself first before fixing it on Kimberly's bento) and I just showed a pic of it on my blog too! This flower seems to attract a lot of people, yea? so simple and so pretty.

Sue Sue said...

The little flowers of ham is so cute. I am gonna do this flower trick for my kid's bento coming Raya holiday. Thanks for sharing. If you don't show it I wouldn't have the idea how you ppl do it. hahaha

3lilangels said...

allthingspurple : Yeah, so simple, just cut and roll. Just a minute, and can totally transform the lunch.

sue sue : I'm glad this post helped. Saw the flowers in Japanese websites.... although can't read Jap, luckily remembered the flowers made from straws that were all the rage some years ago. It was made the same way. Looking forward to your kids' bentos.

allthingspurple said...

Ai? but the japanese site I saw teaches how to fold the flower in stages. The pictures in my post were downloaded to my laptop from her site. Maybe we are looking at two different Japanese moms' sites but both with the same trick. I think I gotta save those jap sites from now on. EAch time I want to re-visit, I forgot which one cos there's so many Japanese bento bloggers out there. Hadn't tot to save cos even with the existing ones also can't finish bloghopping .haha.

shoppingmum said...

I can do this with ham but still struggle with eggs. I think my egg is not evenly flat. Maybe I should get the square pan like yours and try it out.

3lilangels said...

Allthingspurple: Oh, you found a Jap site with tutorials. Yeah, you'd better bookmark it and do share the link, please. That'll be most helpful.

Shoppingmum: Try removing some of the froth after beating the egg, and try lower fire too. The egg should become more even.

allthingspurple said...

will edit my post to add the link if I find it. Should ask Angeleyes, She is good at goggling. The things with bloghopping, you dont usually bookmark them cos there is so many around, then when you want them, then you can't find it. But those who wants them can goggle for it. Just type "japanese" coupled with "recipes" in various form. At least, that's what I did.

Lilypie
Lilypie
Lilypie