I was thinking of making ebbiko maki, when I remembered the balance of the aburaage/fried beancurd pouch bought a few weeks earlier in the fridge. Decided to make inari-zushi instead. In the end, I made two fillings - sushi rice mixed with flavoured korean seaweed, and sushi rice topped with a very generous portion of ebikko.
For Girlet's bento, she had one of each inari, edamame, potato croquette stuffed with sweetmeat/bakwa, fishcake roll, , egg flower and grapes. there are more edamame behind the dog divider. Her only complain was that I stuffed the inari so full that it was hard for her to eat. Oops, talk about kiasu. It was a good thing I packed a small fork. She used the fork to eat up some of the fillings first, so that the inari could fit into her mouth.
By the way, I bought more aburaage at 100 yen shop yesterday because it was only RM4.90, compared to RM6.90 I paid at Jaya Jusco. It was the same brand and same packaging. Also must add that from the making this bento, I've acquired a few Japanese vocab along the way. *_*



14 comments:
Yeah hoh... you added a few Japanese vocab today!
Wah! 100Yen shop also sells japanese ingredients! And the tofu pouches aka aburaage can keep so long?
Congratulations on a lovely and colorful bento for your own consumption!
Gosh ... i think i better pay a visit to 100 Yen shop soon to grab some cheap gadgets first if any. I have yet to start on this but really looking forward to, once my son is able to learn to enjoy his food. Now at 1.5 yrs, he just eats some simple meals. Thanks for sharing.
Very nice bento... So, your visit to 100Yen outlet is really worth it. ^_*
Love the bentos! The egg flowers are so cute, how do you make them??
Emily, at least can order food at Jap restaurant more confidently now, not just pointing at pictures only *_^
The aburaage is vacuum packed and the expiry is Nov 2008. After opening, I keep the balance in freezer.
At least after this bento, I wasn't tempted to reach for a choc bar.
family first: You'd better go soon, as they run out of certain stuff really fast. I wanted to get a red bento box and it was already out of stock. Hmmm...
biblo: well worth it, and very productive.
I wonder how you make that egg so lovely? I can't seem to make it. Always break it. :P
No wonder your bento submission at the bento party won 1st prize! Even without the 'extra help' of kawaii stuff, this bento looks delicious! Wanna invite me for lunch next time?
eerrr.... they sell tofu pouches in 100 Yen shop???? That's new!!!
Lisa: I'll answer your question in the next post.
Shoppingmum: My egg kept breaking when I folded the egg before cutting. Was that what you did?
Bento pet: Aiyoh, very shylah to hear you say that. You are the sifu. I'm just learning, with frequent references to your blog. But I'm up for lunch anytime.
Angeleyes: yup, they have some new stuff at 100 yem shop. But like I wrote earlier, things run out fast being cheap and all. So may not find it the next trip. My advice, grab everything there and then. Don't wait for the next time.... hehe....
WOW love the colours and i m sure they must taste very yummy too! I am so tempted to try my hands on bento making!
your serving of fish roe is so generous!! my girl will love it!!
and I like your egg flower and strawberry! make me drool even by looking at them!
4malmal: haha.... careful now... bentos are highly addictive....
Rachel : Actually I saw your Inari overflowing with fish roe, and thought the same. Which is why I copied you. :D
Post a Comment