Monday, September 8, 2008

Bento Party on Sep 6

Finally, the long awaited Bento Party has come and gone. It was hosted by Bentopet and Emily. Venue: Onsen, a Japanese restaurant near Palm Spring Apartments in Kota Damansara. It was a small party of 25 ladies. Each received a fabulous goodie bag. Thanks, Sue from Cooking Momster, who contributed some of the items. There are a selection of cookbooks, Hershey's cake mix, popcorn, cookie cutter, sausage shaper, mints, a bento box (not shown here) and even beauty products. (By the way, the pink mini onigiri mould is from Emily. She gave one to my sis, biblo, and I very thicked skin asked her for one too. So cute- mini onigiri is just the perfect size for kiddos. Thanks Emily!) .Bentopet started the party with a very professional talk on bento, with powerpoint slide and everything. Emily followed with an advocation to go green through bento. Good speech, ladies! After that was an ice-breaker, introduction by each participant. It was good to finally put a face to the blogs that I've been following. As expected, there were many fans of bentopet and allthingspurple there. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to chat to Christene as she had to leave early.

Lunch was a buffet spread of Japanese food, with chicken karaage, mixed tempura, mixed maki, crabstick salad and cupcakes, the later provided by SuYin. See bentopet's update on the party for pics of the wonderful cupcakes.
Both the above photos were copied from Yatie's blog.
But before we were allowed to eat, we were put to work first. Hehehe.... we had to pack the food into our provided bento box and the best presentation will get a prize. There are two categories - with accessories (which you were supposed to bring along) and non-accessories. Such an interesting concept, huh? This was my first attempt, a grown up bento. I brought along the lettuce as dividers.

After my sis took hers to be photographed, I realised that the cupcake was part of the presentation. I had taken a cute teddy bear to bring back for the kiddos, which did not match my bento at all. So out came the cute bento dividers, picks and Hello Kitty sauce bottle. Between my sis and I, also brought along some 'more' grownup silicon cups, dividers and sauce bottle, but the sis ended up going for the 'non-accessories' category. My final presentation was a very kiddy one. Well, I am blogging about kids bentos.
After lunch, we get to purchase bento supplies by the 100 yen shop..... all at RM4.90 each. My sis and I bought a big bagful each. Nothing compared to Emily with 3 big bags and 1 box. It was a good thing she had her daughters and sister on hand to help her carry her stuff. Maybe that's why she brought them along? hehe.....Here's another pic from Yatie....
On hind sight, I didn't buy a lot. Here's a pink set - two-tiered box, one-tiered click box, dividers, square sandwich box (bigger pic below), matching belt and bag. Bought extra belts as light pink gets unbelievably dirty by 6-yr olds.
The sandwich box turned out to be collapsible..... cool huh? This was one item that was completely sold out at the party.
Also bought a black bento box and matching dark brown belts for d'hubby, if and when I pack breakfast/snack for him. Also bought the blue and maroon because I already bought the bags (at the bottom) earlier on without the boxes.
This beige two-tier bento box was part of the goodie bag. I bought a beige striped belt and bag to match it. That'll be my bento box if and when I pack bento for myself.
And finally, blue and pink clickety boxed, for presents, and a dumpling mould, if I ever get around to making dumplings.... hehe..... There were also other things that Bentopet sourced, some from Daiso such as silicon cups, sauce bottles etc and some cutesy bento boxes eg. Doraemon and Hello Kitty. I had wanted to buy the Hello Kitty box, but thought not be kiasu and wait until after lunch. Of course, what I wanted were all booked and sold out by then.

The good news was that I got the prize for best presentation with accessories. Thank you. This was what I got!
Wasn't that a fabulous bag? And the contents were egg moulds and the cutest animal dividers. Thanks again.

Sorry, I didn't get the name of the person who won the non-accessories category, who incidentally also won the lucky draw. How lucky was that? And Kelly, from Kel's place, also received her prize from Bentopet's 100th bento competition.

Thank you very much, Bentopet and Emily, for the very enjoyable and well organized Bento Party. Looking forward to the next meet up.

Edit : For more photos, check Hijack Queen's blog.

11 comments:

Diyana said...

wah, so many new boxes. imagine if my mom was to take pics of all the items she bought T_T

hihihihhi

Emily said...

Your mom will take pictures of all the things she bought..... later this weekend when her DH has gone off to Melaka.

Right now, her bento party loot are still in the car! Her DH will have a fit if she brings them up now! LOL

Emily said...

p.s. Amy Lim is our lucky participant who won the bento presentation contest as well as the lucky draw!

She has no blog at the moment but her email address is available via her comment she left at SueSue (CookingMomster's blog).

Amy was very interested in bento and asked Pat numerous questions on how to use the maki(?) maker from 100Yen shop.

Lisa~~ said...

Oh what fun the party looks to have been. I would have loved to attend but alas...

Congratulations on winning best presentation with accessories and what a great prize!

Thank you for all the wonderful comments on my blog and for your votes in the Not Exactly Bento Contest.

Our Story said...

wow.... u got so many bento boxes. i like ur last 2 boxes.

YL

Family First said...

Wow .. think the bento craze has started in KL. Cos I used to visit blogs that are in Singapore. Hehehe someday hope to prepare bento meals for my little one too!

Unknown said...

Hi Sharon, I was supposed to walk over and say hi but then, all the bento frenzy keeps me crazy! Hi meeting you too. hehehe. Your 3lilAngel is really cute. Love their long hair. I wish my daughter can have long hair too. Dang school!

allthingspurple said...

hey, got lots of photos from the gathering already !! Too bad the battery to my camera went dead. Couldn't take any pics. Hey, congrats on the contest, nice bento. I forgot the cupcake too!!huahh..you must have sapu a lot at from 100 yen table that day. That's a lot of bento boxes! I snitch from the kids a lot cos I have only one white one.

Biblo said...

Oh yeah... you didn't buy a lot. That's what you think!!! And Emily of course.... LOL!!!!

Don't mind if I use some of your pics?

3lilangels said...

Thanks everyone for visiting and your commnets. I am too overwhelmed to reply individually.

Sue Sue said...

Nice meeting you in person too. Me too ended up one big bag from the party. Same as you wanted the Hello Kitty and Doreamon but then it is all booked. Got to look at some other places see whether they have it.Hahaha.. I think I am the last one to post the bento party post ;)

Lilypie
Lilypie
Lilypie